Stephanie's Cradle

Stephanie's Cradle

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 am

My niece Stephanie is having a baby. This is a very big deal in our small family since (on Teresa's side) I have only two nieces and no nephews (my second niece is 12). I told Steph I would build something for the baby and she chose a cradle. The baby is due in a month and they expect may be early so I decided it was time to get started. I asked what she had in mind and she sent me some pictures of her other baby furniture and a couple of cradles that she liked. I did a search of available cradle plans and nothing I could find was even close. Oh well, it is a box that rocks. How hard could it be? I did look up the latest safety regulations and recommendations.

Sunday afternoon I sat down and made a couple of sketches and an initial cut list.

This is going to require a lot more lumber than I initially pictured (around 22 bf). Her other furniture has a dark espresso sort of finish so I chose some mahogany that is very straight grained and consistent but with very little figure. Any figure would be hidden by the finish anyway so I am going for stability and strength.

The end of day one left me with a satisfying pile of 60 milled parts ready to start cutting the tenons and mortises.

Phil Morris

Re: Stephanie's Cradle

Postby Phil Morris » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 am

Last night I cut tenons on each end of the 40 slats (whew!). I formed the mortises by cutting dados in the rails to match the thickness of the tenons then making splines to fill the gaps between the slats. These will be glued in place. I dry fit the parts by way of a test and called it a night.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 am

Last night I spent some time rechecking my measurements and trimming the rails to exact length. I am going to use the Beadlock loose tenon system to join the rails to the corners so I did some set up tests on scrap.

The joints came out nice and tight and aligned well so once I do a mountain of sanding, I am ready to start putting this thing together.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Tonight I started gluing in the splines that will form the mortises.

Everything is looking good and I made some progress but will need to mill more splines to finish.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

Had to hit the road for a few days on business but I am back and put in some shop time last night.

I built the lower rails that will hold the mattress support slats:

And started gluing up the corners:

Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:08 am

I spent quite a bit of time in the shop Saturday and Sunday to stay on schedule with the project. There was a lot of fiddly joinery since everything connects to everything. I now have the basic cradle structure together and a good deal of the initial sanding done.

This is the cradle bottom that supports the mattress. It fits in as a separate piece:

This week I will be building the base that supports the cradle and allows it to swing/glide.
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 am

Yesterday I sketched out final plans for the gliding base for the cradle and made a cut list.

Last night I cut lumber for the basic parts of the base:

Tonight I will finish prepping the lumber and start assembly.
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 am

More progress. Last night I assembled the legs of the stand and shaped the feet. I still need to relieve the edges but I will set up and do all the stand parts at once later.

I also rough assembled the frame the crib will mount to and the geometry all looks good but I decided it needs some style work. I will be focusing on that tonight.
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 am

Phil,

Nice work....way above my skill level. That will be cherished and passed on to the next.

I may have missed this but what finish will it get?
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Ken -

Thanks for the kind words. The cradle will get an espresso finish so it will blend in with the other baby furniture.

Phil
Phil Morris

Next

Return to WoodWorking