trimming a barren window

trimming a barren window

Postby HenryP » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Nothing monumental here but I thought I would add this post. I'm gradually sprucing up the first floor of our home. So far I have done the breakfast room, built new kitchen cupboards, wainscotting in the office room , new vanity and trim in the powder room. It's a about 70 year old house and the interior wasn't very inspiring. None of the windows had casings, only a plaster jamb and granite sill which had been painted many times over the years. I'm doing all the woodwork in cherry. No stain, just letting it age to a mellow amber color. Do all the moldings on the Williams and Hussey which I bought in 1976 for the princely sum of $275.I can't say enough good things about it.
Here I'm trimming three windows in the living/dining area. They are all the same size so that makes it a bit simpler.
First a before picture.
I pulled out the stone sills because they protrude from the wall. Next assembled a 3" wide jamb and screwed it inside the existing opening.The casings are two parts,totaling 4 3/8" wide.
Here's a finished shot.
Notice that the body of the casing isn't mitered right across but a combination miter and butt. I cut to about a sixteenth from the line then used a template and router with a top bearing bit to finish it.I assembled the casings on the bench rather than on the wall. This way I could clamp them tight and hold them in place with a pocket screw through the edge. On the second and third sets I also fastened the backband in place while on the bench
I decided to have the baseboard follow around the rad and die into the window casing. I also assembled those those pieces on the bench and installed as a unit rather than try and get tight miters while nailing to the wall. I butt glued the miters and then reinforced the joints with a couple of biscuits plunged in from behind.
Brushed four coats of oil based semi-gloss polyurethane and will start planning the next step.
Hope you enjoyed the tour. Henry
HenryP

Re: trimming a barren window

Postby Palmer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:48 pm

That is an inspiring way to accomplish a tough job and achieve near or absolute perfection. And those of us with shops at our homes can do exactly what you have done here, easier than you would at first think. Wonderful job, enjoyed the post and really enjoyed your sense of craftsmanship.

Palmer
21HDX
Palmer

Re: trimming a barren window

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey Henry - There is no moss growing on you. If I follow your example, I don't have enough energy to retire.

Really beautiful work as always.

Phil
Phil Morris

Return to WoodWorking