[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
MyMachineryForum.com • View topic - Building a new group of Spankys

Building a new group of Spankys

Re: Building a new group of Spankys

Postby Phil Morris » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Phil Morris

Postby slstexas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Yup, the "block" method is same as used by wood turners to make segmented bowls.

Actually is very strong and less likely to change shape from humidity changes.
Here are some pictures of block type rings.
These are intended for guitar rosette use but when the rings are glued together with the joints staggered they would be like what is used for banjo rims.

Steve Stevens
Function over form - so long as it looks well.
www.stephenstevensguitars.com
slstexas

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Day Six: (4 hrs)

Finishing pots - Today I turned the koa and jatoba pots

These are the pots I glued the cap rings onto first so I can skip the trimming steps that were required on the last two pots. I also do the initial outside sanding while the pot is on the lathe.

I sanded the inside of all four pots on the spindle sander. Even with the new dust collector, this is a dusty process.

Pots ready to drill for hardware and the dowel stick

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Palmer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Beautiful, simply Beautiful.

I know what a dowel is, but I'm struggling to see what you call a dowel when it pertains to these pretty circles.

Palmer
Palmer

Postby slstexas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:25 am

Phil,

I really like the uncluttered look you get with this type joinery.

The completed pot will look very nice.

Never have seen them done this way.

Thanks for showing.

Steve
slstexas

Postby slstexas » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 am

Hey Phil,

I need to understand the "birds mouth" cutting set up.

Do you have a special bit/cutter or do you tilt the spindle ?

Is this a set up I might make on my - yet to be used Craftsman shaper ?
Or
Might this be set up on my table mounted router ?

I was thinking it might be fun to try.

[After I watch you do it here that is.]

Thanks for showing.

Steve
slstexas

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:29 am

Hi Steve -

I use a special router bit to cut the birdsmouth. I bought a set from Woodline but have only used the 16 sided bit. The bits are available from other sources like Lee Valley . MCLS calls them "multi-sided glue joint router bits .

I wanted to move this task to my Delta light duty shaper which would have given me justification for keeping the machine but with a fairly thorough search was unable to locate to appropriate stock cutters. I contacted a company about making custom cutters for me but ultimately decided I didn't have room for the machine anyway.

The cut could actually be set up on a table saw (in a couple of passes) but the resulting glue surfaces wouldn't be as smooth.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 am

Day Seven: (3 hrs)

Drilling for hardware - I started today with some hand sanding on the pots and putting a bevel on the lower edge then I was ready to drill for the hardware and neck dowel.

A template is used to mark the hole locations

The drilling jig bolts to the drill press table and features a peg to locate the hole the proper distance from the edge and a replaceable sacrificial shoe to drill into.

Ready to drill

Lug mounting holes complete

A larger shoe is added so the dowel hole can be drilled on the same jig.

Dowel hole complete

All the parts are now ready to go to Dan's shop.
Phil Morris

Postby HenryP » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Very interesting journal. Keep it coming. Henry
HenryP

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Day 8 Inlaying the resonator (6 hrs)

Yesterday Dan Fobert conducted a workshop on inlay techniques and as a class project, everyone inlaid a Spanky Rose. The substrate was a block of maple rather than a resonator but the technique is the same and it was a good opportunity to document the process.

Preparing to cut -

The drawing of the inlay is cleaned up and reduced or enlarged to the appropriate size for the inlay then a copy is made for each type or color of material used in the inlay. In this case the entire rose will be made from one type of material so there is one copy of the drawing.

Here is Dan explaining that the drawing is like a puzzle. Each line has to define an enclosed space that can be cut out.

The inlay materials are prepared to about 1/8" thickness and selected for color and grain pattern.

The drawing is glued to the surface of the inlay material.

A glue stick is handy for this purpose.

Cutting the inlay pieces -

On an intricate drawing like the rose, it is essential to plan the path of your cutting ahead of time. Here Dan is using an enlarged drawing of the rose to plan the cut path.

The cutting is done on scroll saws using jeweler's fret blades and slow reciprocating speeds.

The smaller parts are cut out first then the larger parts.

Here you can see the auxiliary zero clearance table that has been clamped to the scroll saw so small parts will be better supported and won't be lost. The cut parts are placed in the small black tub.

Sand shading -

Once the parts are all cut, shading is done using silicon sand which is heated in a small cast iron skillet on a hot plate.

The edges to be shaded dark are buried in the hot sand. The longer they are left, the darker they become.

Assembly -

The shaded parts are now glued to a sheet of paper. The glue stick comes in handy again for applying the glue to the paper first

Then placing the parts like puzzle pieces. This is harder than it looks.

Once the glue is dry the inlay is brushed with sealer.

While the sealer was drying was a good opportunity to get some lunch.

Routing the inlay cavity -

In a bit of a stupor after eating a burger the size of a hubcap, I forgot to take a couple of pictures:

The inlay was cut from the paper sheet with an Exacto knife, exactly and cleanly following the contour of the inlay.

The trimmed inlay was then positioned on the maple block and while firmly held in position, was carefully traced with a sharp pencil.

The routing is started at the center of the cavity and worked outward so there is plenty of support for the router base.

We used a variety of high speed rotary carving tools equipped with flex shafts and router bases.

All used 1/16" carbide bits and all seemed to work equally well.

The inlay is checked for fit and the cavity adjusted as needed.

Gluing in the inlay -

The inlay cavity is first sealed to prevent staining of the maple by dust from the darker inlay woods or the colored epoxy during the sanding and leveling process.

Once the sealer is dry, a suitable amount of epoxy is dispensed

And colored to closely match the color of the inlay material

Half of the epoxy is buttered into the cavity and spread evenly. The inlay in placed in the cavity and the remaining half of the epoxy is spread over the surface of the inlay.

A sheet of wax paper then covers the epoxy followed by a glue caul block.

The whole sandwich is then clamped until the glue sets.

Rough sanding and check -

Once the glue is set, the excess glue is sanded from the surface of the inlay.

A check is made for any gaps or bubbles in the epoxy. Repairs are made at this point as needed.

The inlaid piece is now left so the epoxy can fully cure before final sanding and finishing.

A completed inlay
Phil Morris

PreviousNext

Return to WoodWorking