Building a new group of Spankys

Re: Building a new group of Spankys

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 am

Hi Palmer -

The go bar deck is mostly used for gluing braces to guitar tops and backs but is useful for a lot of small things that are difficult to clamp.

Here is a picture I borrowed from StewMac showing brace gluing. My deck is made from MDF and allthread plus a few nuts and washers. The rods are made from the driveway reflector poles sold at the borg.

It works for gluing these segments because the end grain joints are not really structural but cosmetic. I want the joints nice and tight with a small glue line but the real strength will be gained in the next step when the ring is glued to the rim of the pot

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Wow...I had heard you were talented....you really make this look easy.

The go bar clamp is ingenious..
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Day four: (2 hrs)

Mounting rings to pots - Today I finished gluing up the trim rings and started mounting them to the pots.

After coming off the go bar deck the rings get a few passes through the drum sander to clean and level them.

Rings ready for mounting

The turned pot also gets leveled to make a good mating surface for the ring. You have probably noticed by now the drum sander gets a lot of use in the shop.

The rings can be mounted after the pot is turned then trimmed or they can be mounted on the unturned pot and turned at the same time as the pot. I am showing both methods.

Ring on press ready for gluing to unturned pot

Pot and ring in press

After removal from the press the faceplate is glued on for turning.

Turned pot and ring in press

Glue drying

More tomorrow.
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Day Five: (2 hrs)

Trimming pot rings -

Rough trimming the outside with the band saw

Rough trimming the inside. This is one of the tasks I have found is handy to do on my old Oliver of Adrian die filer. Just replace the file with a jig saw blade and you are good to go.

Finish trimming with the router and down cutting spiral bit

The router is mounted in the left wing of my mid 50s Unisaw

Two pots ready for sanding

This evening I also built a new jatoba pot. The wood I used on the first pot was supposed to be jatoba but the density and texture didn't seem quite right so I made a new one using material I had more confidence in. It is in clamps now and by tomorrow will be ready for turning along with the koa pot.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby scrobert » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Phil,

It is really nice to follow along as you make your Spankys. Very cool! Thanks for letting us spectate. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Scott
scrobert

Postby Palmer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:05 pm

All this time are you coming to exact dimensions known only by qualified Luthiers, or is it just done to the eye and the sense of design. I would think for the thing to ultimately be tuned to play with other instruments that there has to be some repeatability in dimension.

If you do come to predetermined dimensions on the pot, how accurate do you have to be. Say the outer diameter is 14 inches, does that mean 14.0000 or 14 +- 1/16.

I really like the "Go Deck" I want to be home long enough to make and use one. That would be useful in all kinds of crafty crap. I have used the same concept using 3/4" yellow pine rippings in a room to glue on (panel adhesive) super nice paneling without nails.

Really enjoying the installments, thanks Phil.

Palmer
21HDX
Palmer

Postby Phil Morris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks Scott.

Hi Palmer -

The particular dimensions we use are the result of quite a bit of experimentation and development. There are some critical dimensions and also a little room to be creative or experimental. For one thing, the pots have to work with the hardware. I am using a pre-mounted banjo head and a matching tension ring that are designed to match a pot diameter of 8". There is a little wiggle room (maybe 1/8") to be undersized, but if you go over, the head and ring won't fit over the pot. You could use a different diameter but you might have to mount your own skin head and make your own tension hoop. There is some freedom with the thickness of the pot rim and with the pot depth so long as it isn't too shallow. If you make the pot too shallow, the ends of the hooks will protrude past the edge of the pot and the instrument would be uncomfortable to play.Things will get very critical when we get to the neck. The angle of the neck, length of scale, and position of the frets are all very critical in making the instrument play in tune.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby slstexas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Phil,

Fun for me to see this method.

I like the look better than the "brick layed" block look.

Sure hope you can get picture sequences of the following stages.

Steve Stevens
Joshua
Function over form - so long as it looks well.
www.stephenstevensguitars.com
slstexas

Postby Phil Morris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Steve -

I like the look of this method better also since it shows off the wood so much better than a block built rim. I am not aware of anyone else doing it this way. I took my inspiration from the way hollow wooden masts are constructed.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Does block built sorta mean segmented?
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

PreviousNext

Return to WoodWorking