Stephanie's Cradle

Re: Stephanie's Cradle

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 pm

I stayed after it all weekend and pretty much have the woodworking done.

Tonight I will make a new stretcher brace for the base (I made one earlier but then forgot what it was for and cut it up for other parts - Duh) and actually hang the cradle from the gliding mechanism and try it out. If it works as designed, it will have an upward lift at the ends of the glide travel to give it more of a rocking motion. If I don't like how that is working I can still change it to a straight back and forth glide. I can also evaluate the overall height of the cradle. t will be a couple of inches taller with the addition of the casters and can still be shortened at this point if it proves to be too tall.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Palmer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am

I'm loving the look of the cradle....there must be some wild geometry going on underneath that cradle to let it rock but not dump the baby. I'm interested in exactly how that works....are you in a mood to share?

Keep up the beautiful work. It is looking grand.

Palmer
21HDX
Palmer

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for the nice comments Palmer. Once I can slow down a bit I will post a little on the gliding mechanism.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 pm

I am pushing hard to wrap this up so I am behind on posting. The finishing process is always a bear. It is especially tough going this dark with the finish.

Friday I sprayed on a couple of coats of finish and let it dry over night. Saturday I block sanded it flat and washed it down with spirits:

When that was dry, I sprayed a couple more coats of finish:

It is starting to look good but will require more finish coats so today I sanded it flat and washed it down with spirits again. The weather has turned too cool for good spraying so I am getting everything set to spray tomorrow when it warms up a bit.

Phil
Phil Morris

Previous

Return to WoodWorking