What makes a Kennedy tool box so desirable?

Rants, Raves, and other miscellany.
Forum rules
Please - No politics or political candidate hawking or bashing.

What makes a Kennedy tool box so desirable?

Postby Rickbaro » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Is it a heavier gauge than the best boxes at Lowes Depot? Are the guides that much better?

I've never seen on in person, but it looks like they use extruded aluminum handles like the others, and as long as you've got good ball-bearing guides, how could they be worth so much?
Rickbaro

Re: What makes a Kennedy tool box so desirable?

Postby Wheels » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Not only that..they're an ugly brown. I used to own a big Kennedy bottom box, a craftsman riser and a craftsman top box. The Craftsman boxes are identical to the Kennedy and I think we're made by them. My bottom box had roller bearings but were hard to maintain and keep rolling smooth.

I guess Kennedy used to be the top choice for machinists going way back. I think nostalgia is kicking in on them now and in fact I recently bought a longish top machinist box branded Crafstman made by Kennedy that Phil picked up and brought to me and I like it plenty.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:29 am

It was/is just considered standard for professional machinists. My mechanic buddy tells me the newby mechanics are the same way about Snap-on. They think they have to spring for a super high dollar cabinet to be taken seriously in the shop. At least with Snap-on the boxes are actually better than the cheap stuff. I have some Kennedy boxes and I actually think the slides are inferior to the Craftsman/Kobalt/Husky stuff that is dramatically cheaper.
Phil Morris

Postby Rickbaro » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, I look at the boxes in Lowes and the better ones with the good guides are pretty good. So I got to wondering "how much better could they be?" Maybe when the drawer is loaded up with weight, the characheristics of the roller guides change?

But after reading this, I think it's probably more nostalgia than anything. I'm needing a new tool box, and so will not turn away from anything that comes off with good quality.
Rickbaro

Return to Off Topic