Cheap engines - nasty

Gravely and similar tractors as well as Onan, Kohler, and Briggs engine help.

Cheap engines - nasty

Postby Richard-TX » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:50 am

I recently had the displeasure of working on a Kohler Courage engine. Let me assure you, this is the cheapest engine on the market. The oil pump is plastic, the oil pump drive shaft is plastic, and the cam shaft gears are plastic. This is one engine that is guaranteed to fail in 5 years or less.

When complete lawn tractors sell for the same price as a premium quality engine, you know the engine is a POS.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Re: Cheap engines - nasty

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 pm

I certainly have not kept up with developments in the small engine world but 30 years ago when I owned a landscaping business, Kohler was a premium brand. It is a bit of a shock that they have lent their name to a product on this level.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Richard-TX » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 pm

I won't own a Kohler engine if I can help it. I just got rid of a Kohler Magnum 18. Replaced it with an Onan. There was nothing wrong with the Kohler. I just got tired of the poor performance (an Onan 18 hp engine kicks it's ass)and insanely high parts prices. $600 for a crankshaft is INSANE! I have a few Kohler K301 engines around here. 3 are running and two are not. I wish I didn't have any.

I just pulled apart a Onan P224 engine that has 2700 hours on it. No wear on anything except the piston rings.

That is what happens when the oil and filter gets changed regularly.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Richard-TX » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Here are a few pictures of the Onan P224 I just pulled apart.

crankshaft gear wear

Richard-TX
Site Admin

Return to Old Tractors and Small Engines