[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
MyMachineryForum.com • View topic - 14" Perkins hacksaw by Miller Knuth

14" Perkins hacksaw by Miller Knuth

All metalworking machinery

14" Perkins hacksaw by Miller Knuth

Postby Wheels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Could not pass it up due to completeness and the fact that I have lot of NOS parts for this model....it will fit somewhere in the que.....somehow.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Re: 14" Perkins hacksaw by Miller Knuth

Postby Richard-TX » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 am

Where do you get blades for something like that?
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:34 am

I like that! I will trade you my pocket knife and baseball card collection for it.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Wheels

Postby Sariddle » Sun May 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I just picked up a very similar "farm fresh" Perkins Miller-Knuth power hacksaw. I like your pix as it shows a few things that mine is missing. Mine does have the bar and end stop that goes thru the base under the vice and is used for repetitive part length cuts. I see that I am missing the guard that goes over the top of the big drive gear (or more that mine has been broken off). I drenched the whole saw in a degreaser and washed it off. It actually has some decent paint under all the oil and grime. I think the big Yellow guard over the drive belt was some homemade thing. It was made out of 3/16" plate and heavy wire mesh.
Another part I see that mine does not have is the support for the part being cut off. The ones I have seen bolt onto the side around the end stop rod. I may have to make my own and drill and tap holes to mount it.

I will try to post some more pictures when I get it more cleaned up and maybe have my Plasma cam friend cut me out a guard more similar to the original ones I have seen in pictures.

Scott

You may have to click on the pictures to completely view each.
Power Hack Saw (2).jpg
Power Hack Saw (2).jpg (204.96 KiB) Viewed 2347 times

Power Hack Saw (3).jpg
Power Hack Saw (3).jpg (252.83 KiB) Viewed 2347 times

Power Hack Saw (6).jpg
Power Hack Saw (6).jpg (201.91 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
Sariddle

Postby Wheels » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 am

Wow...our saws could be related...they look alike....I have some parts for that saw...mainly the oilite bushings but other parts as well. I don't have that gear cover but I may have other things so let me know as you determine what you need.
Wheels

Postby Sariddle » Thu May 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Cool. Do you happen to have the part support that bolts on the side to hold the part being cut off up? I took the vice off and found that they lost the T-nuts and made their own. They welded a nut to a flat plate. The main bolt that the fixed jaw pivots on had been replaced by a foot long piece of ready rod with a nut welded on top of it. I used my 3/8 ratchet and a socket to unscrew it and it took me about 20 minutes. The T-nut drug hard on the threads the entire way. I am going to machine up 2 proper T-nuts on my mill and toss these 2 others in the trash.
Here are a couple of pix of it cleaned up a bit more. I think I will hit it 1 more time with degreaser and a brush and then just paint the red handles/knobs on it. Keeping the vintage look (ie taking the easy way out). I am anxious to get it back together and actually cut some metal with it.
By the way do you happen to have any casters? I am missing the one with the stud that goes vertical on the back end of the saw. One of the front ones is good and the other is bent to the side but I think I can straighten it out pretty easily.

Scott

Click on the photos to enlarge..
Attachments
Power Hack Saw (11).jpg
Power Hack Saw (11).jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Power Hack Saw (10).jpg
Power Hack Saw (10).jpg (226.88 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Power Hack Saw (7).jpg
Power Hack Saw (7).jpg (203.08 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Sariddle

Postby Wheels » Fri May 18, 2012 5:40 am

I don't have casters or the cutoff support but I think I have the t-nut. Let me check the measurements and I'll let you compare.
Wheels

Return to Old Metalworking Machines