Illinois Toolworks Die Filer - pic intensive

All metalworking machinery

Illinois Toolworks Die Filer - pic intensive

Postby Wheels » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm

I'll initiate this section with my little die filer I've started to restore. One of those Craigslist finds. I found this one when Rick was in St. Louis and it came back in the trunk of his car. It runs quiet and smooth but it smells like Granny's attack when running...just an old smell.

Right now it's torn down and the base, pulley, table and main assembly are being blasted and I should get them back next Mon or Tue.

I'm not going to open the motor unless it seizes up. I'm going do my best to strip and paint it fully assembled and call it good.

The last pic is of the "War Finish" badge. It was folded like a pretzel and I painstakingly straightned it. Going to try and repaint it as well.

I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Re: Illinois Toolworks Die Filer - pic intensive

Postby Palmer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks Ken,

That is a nice start to post all about your Die Filer as the first installment in Old Metalworking Machines.

Well done and good pics.

Palmer
21HDX
Palmer

Postby Phil Morris » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Nice machine and nice job on unfolding that war finish badge. Are you going to repaint it in the original "War Finish"?

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm

From what I've been told the original color would have been machine grey for everything except the motor which was black. I might do some other parts in black for contrast as I'm not so much of a purist about original colors. (open to suggestions).
Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Posting one pic I missed in case anyone ever wants to know what goes on insider this die filer. All it amounts to is the cam/eccentric there in the back that turns and drives the shaft up and down in the same manner that a Delta 24" scroll saw lower plunger is driven. The shaft rides in one bronze bushing at the top and another at the bottom. There is an oil bath and on the down stroke the shaft causes oil to squirt all over the place inside. Left is top in the pic. The L shaped fitting is a site glass.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:34 pm

The motor is looking much more respectuful now. The GE emblem and the switch housing are taking forever to remove the 70 years of tarnish but I'll get there. I stripped the motor down while assembled and primed and painted it.

Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Wow! Looking great. You are in danger of making it too pretty to use (I never have that problem on my restorations).

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 am

Just posting to add the latest progress pic.
Wheels

Postby Richard-TX » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:36 am

What are you going to use it for? I personally don't do that much filing that I would need a machine to help with the task.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Wheels » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am

I don't have an intended use for it other than filing something that needs filing. "Needing" a machine rarely dictates what I get. I just wanted it.

Actually just yesterday i could have used it. I wanted to use slightly larger dia bolts to mount the motor to the motor mount from my Altas DP. So I had to use a hand file on those 4 long slotted holes in the mount and wore my arm out. The die filer would have avoided that.
Wheels

Next

Return to Old Metalworking Machines