Power Hacksaw Stand

All metalworking machinery

Power Hacksaw Stand

Postby Phil Morris » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Seeing the stand Rick built for his power hacksaw inspired me to do a similar stand for mine. I already knew I wanted it to be short enough to go under my lathe stand when not in use so it would need to be modified and shortened. Rick kindly lent me the templates he developed while building his stand and I made a shortened set based on these. I started the project months ago then got busy with other things but got back on it recently.

The stand and machine proved to be pretty heavy so it didn't slide easily from under the lathe. Rick mentioned he put on some wheels and moved his wheelbarrow style so of course I copied that also. I looked for some low profile casters and not finding anything I liked, I decided to make the rollers (gotta do somethin' with these tools). I didn't want to spoil the look of the stand and I also had clearance issues. The stand was designed to fit under the lathe with only 1 1/2" of clearance.

I took some 1" Delrin and drilled a 1/4" hole through it and cut off two 1" slices:

Digging around in the junk boxes I found a couple of brackets that could be modified:

The finished rollers only extend 1/4" below the legs.

My original thought was to put 3/8" foot pads inboard of the rollers and also on the other legs so it would sit on the pads in use but rock up onto the rollers while being moved. I may still do this but will try it first and see if it is really needed.

Phil
Phil Morris

Re: Power Hacksaw Stand

Postby Rickbaro » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Looks good Phil. It has nice proportions. What did you do on the other side; is there a belt guard, or does the belt come up through the table?
Rickbaro

Postby Palmer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:30 am

Beautiful work Phil. I really like the lines of a stand like that and the craftsmanship is awesome. It looks like it will last 100 years then it might need another coat of paint and then last another 100.

Palmer
Palmer

Postby Wheels » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 am

That's a pretty crafty solution with the Delrin and a great reason to fire up the lathe.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks guys. Rick - The belt has no guard and just runs outside of the stand.
Phil Morris

Return to Old Metalworking Machines