[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
MyMachineryForum.com • View topic - Bearings slide on by hand. Do I need to use Loctite?

Bearings slide on by hand. Do I need to use Loctite?

Old Woodworking Machines - Restorations, repairs, maintenance, and more.

Bearings slide on by hand. Do I need to use Loctite?

Postby hector » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I have a little 1/2 HP motor I'm rejuvenating. It has 6202 bearings, and I can slide them onto the shaft with just my fingers. Likewise, I can push them into the end-bell housings pretty easy. Should I put a drop of loctite on the shaft to make sure the inner race can't spin on the shaft? The old bearings were about the same, I pulled them off with my fingers, but the shaft shows no sign of them ever having spun on the shaft.
hector

Re: Bearings slide on by hand. Do I need to use Loctite?

Postby Wheels » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:48 am

Hope Phil chimes in because I know he had this problem on a triple duty grinder. There's a product by Loctite for that very purpose that I think he used. Might have been Permatex...can't remember now.

Here's both

Loctite 602 (actually there's more than one type....680 and a couple others)
Permatex 20297
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:30 am

Richard is the bearing expert so maybe he will chime in but sliding onto the shaft doesn't bother me. The problem I had was the bearing being loose in the endbell. That cast iron is much softer than the bearing case so I worry about it spinning and wearing. I hear a noise when the motor initially spins that I worry is the bearing spinning in the endbell. That may not actually be what is happening, but I worry. I bought some Loctite to "fix" this issue but have not found the time and motivation to tear the grinder down to use it.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby hector » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:51 pm

They aren't loose in the endbell. It takes a little fiddling to get them aligned straight enough you can push them into the endbell. Other motors I've worked on, the end bell fit was about the same as this one, but the bearings had to be pressed onto the shaft with a little persuasion.

Since the old bearings had the same fit, and nothing bad happened, I'm kind of inclined to just put it back together like it was before: without glue.
hector

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 am

Phil Morris

Postby Richard-TX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:39 am

Loctite bearing mount 609 is what I use. Accurate has it in stock. If all you need is a drop or two, stop by and I will put some on for you.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby hector » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:45 pm

hector

Postby Wheels » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm puzzle by it all the way around. I can't imagine it being loose by design but there's no sign of it spinning. As has been said, it might last forever that way or sieze and have an entertaining catastrophic failure.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Richard-TX » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:34 am

In general the way motors are assembled is that the bearing is pressed on the rotor and then the whole thing is slid into the endbells. Sure you can assemble the motor first and then apply the loctite but that isn''t how I would do it. Put anothere way, if the CE of the motor had the loose bearing, it would be impossible to get loctite onto the shaft.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Return to Old Woodworking Machines