Walker Turner 1180B table saw

Old Woodworking Machines - Restorations, repairs, maintenance, and more.

Walker Turner 1180B table saw

Postby Rickbaro » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 pm

So I'm finishing up this saw, and I gotta say it's not the best saw. Little things like there's no way to preload the arbor bearings, the sheet metal wings are impossible to get all on one plane, the tilt lock was broken because it can be easily over tightened (I brazed it back up and put a couple shims in to prevent it from being over tightened), and I botched the badge (okay that last one is not the saw's fault, but I'm not going to get on my own case!).

It's not a bad saw by any means, just somewhere between my PM66 and a Craftsman 113.

I'll get some pics shortly after I make a badge decal tonight.
Last edited by Rickbaro on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickbaro

Re: Walker Truner 1180B table saw

Postby Richard-TX » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Preload the bearings? I For best cut precision, the endplay should be around .001" or less . In the case of the Unisaw, the endplay/preload is set via a spring. In the caser of the Delta shaper, the preload is set by machining spacers.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Rickbaro » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:18 am

Preload may be the wrong term. The first bearing goes on the arbor, followed by a spacer, then the second bearing, and then a collar with two set screws goes on. There’s no way to make sure it’s squeezed together. I pushed it down while tightening the screws, but there’s no real pressure. Not that I was looking for a ton or anything, but I’m afraid over time it will loosen.

Too late for pics ‘cause I already put it together.
Rickbaro

Postby Richard-TX » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:32 am

maybe this will help.
Attachments
wt1180.JPG
wt1180.JPG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Re: Walker Turner 1180B table saw

Postby Rickbaro » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 am

So here it is. There are plenty of good examples of these around, so it’s a bit standard fare. At some point in its life it was tipped over. The rear table was cracked apart, and “repaired” with a couple brazing rods and an overly aggressive grinder. But hey, its history is what gives the tool its character.

The miter pin is loose, I’ll fix that, and the fence pointer doesn’t zero out with the fence boards installed; which is weird because there are three holes in the fence obviously designed to hold a fence board. They look punched so I’m sure they’re factory.

The engine turning came out okay, it passes the three foot rule down to two feet, but next time I’ll use a stainless steel brush. It was $17 vs the $7 I paid for the one I have. It was fun and learned something.

I didn’t try to make doors for the cabinet, gotta keep the costs low if I’m going to continue to make $3.75/ hr! Of course the bearings were ¾ bore for the arbor which pretty much doubles the price. And the motor had 6202s, but one end had a 5/8 bore (which again doubles the price). Three belts at $7 each, and I could have put new pulleys on; the originals had some wobble in them. Nothing terrible and I don’t feel it in the saw when running.

The badge was shot, so I flipped it over and stuck a decal on it. At least it still has its original serial number on the backside of the tag.

I polished the hand wheels, and between them and the engine turning, it has enough bling to sell pretty quickly I’m hoping.

This is actually the "Before."

Here's the table. This thing isn't as wide as the main table, and the miter slots are cut noticably wider. The sheet metal wings do not bolt to this table because if they did, they'd pull towards it and deform. Like I said, it's not my 66.
Rickbaro

Postby Wheels » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 am

Wow....you're and artist and old arn is your canvas....it looks outstanding and the engine turned area really holds your attention.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 am

Great looking machine Rick. I saw it in your ad and thought it looked fantastic before I saw it here. With these larger pictures it looks even more impressive.

On the far side of the cut, accuracy is no longer needed for the miter slot so they just made it forgiving to mount the extension. Maybe not elegant, but practical and functional. That will make someone a nice machine.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby shoottx » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Rick

Great job on that one!

Ya want another to do the same magic, I can make you a heck of a deal on one with the matching shaper?

Mike
shoottx

Postby Rickbaro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:59 pm

Well the new owner took her home yesterday. He was replacing a Uni Jr. Seems like you'd wait around for a full size Uni or a 66. But he was happy, so who am I?

He also showed me pics of his 6" jointer on a CI stand, his W/M 14" also on a CI stand, and a sweet Wallace mortiser. Nice guy but didn't seem interested in joining the Usual Suspects, and he hadn't posted over at owwm for so long he forgot his username. Maybe he's in Witness Protection.

If anybody is interested in a Jr, let me know I'll send your email address to him.

Working on something else right now...
Rickbaro

Return to Old Woodworking Machines