[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
MyMachineryForum.com • View topic - New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions

Old Woodworking Machines - Restorations, repairs, maintenance, and more.

New Member Introductions

Postby Richard-TX » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:51 am

New members are encouraged to post a little intro.

Please say "hi" and tell us about you or your machines.

Richard
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Re: New Member Introductions

Postby slstexas » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Since I am a new member, I need to give you some background.

I have been using wood working power tools since an early age. My dad bought our ShopSmith 10ER in 1950. I was 10. I have been using it ever since. Parts have worn out and parts have broken but repaired or replaced this original machine is still in use. I bought a second 10ER - mostly for parts - a few years ago but once I got it home and checked out I found it mostly complete. Ebay finds have it back fully functioning. Now I keep one in the up position and one in the down position. Use em all the time.

My current pride and joy is a Laguna HD16 band saw. As a guitar builder I am in love with this machine.
I still have my old Delta 14 band saw but the Laguna runs so smoothly that it is a joy.

My 16/32 Performax drum sander is now a big part of my guitar work as is the floor model belt sander.

I also have the normal wood working 10 inch table saw and jig saw and routers - stuff like that and a Craftsman shaper.
Still make furniture now and then.

So you can see I have some machinery.

I am also really big into hand tools - guitar work demands hand work and there are many times I enjoy some quiet hand work.

Fly fishing and making bamboo fly rods are also passions.

Steve
Function over form - so long as it looks well.
www.stephenstevensguitars.com
slstexas

Postby Richard-TX » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:30 am

Wow, what a introduction!

Welcome to the forum Steve!
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Steve -

Good to see you on the forum! You guys should check out Steve's website. I have seen Steve's work firsthand and I can tell you he is a very talented luthier building some fantastic guitars and will be a real addition to this site.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the great post Steve and I hope we get to see some of your guitars being built.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Steve,

You may already know of this guy but I recently came to know him when he contacted me wanting to buy some Vimco lamp shades I have for Shopsmiths. He refurbishes and repairs Shopsmiths. Thought I'd pass it along in case you had not run across him.

Wheels

Postby HenryP » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Just thought I would add my introduction. Joined yesterday after Phil Morris mentioned the forum. I've been working with wood since i was a kid in grade school. In my past life I worked in a steel mill in northern Ontario, where in 1980 I started building a 38' steel sailboat in the back yard. Launched it in 1987. In 1994 I quit the steel mill, we sold the house and sailed south.Lived on the boat for 14 years, up and down the east coast and as far south as Grenada. Whenever we stopped for extended stays Stateside I was able to land woodworking jobs - millwork shops in Charleston, yachtbuilder in West Palm ( helped build Allan Jackson's sportfishing boat), a pipe organ builder and another yachtbuilder on the Chesapeake. All the while I missed having my own shop.
Four years ago we settled in Pittsburgh and now the shop is a reality. Even though it's a basement with attached garage it suits my needs and I have been able to equip it with some top-notch machinery. I will put together a photo tour but meanwhile here's a shot of my first welding project at anchor in Marsh Harbour Bahamas , 2006. Henry
HenryP

Postby Phil Morris » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi Henry! Nice to see you on board. Hey guys - Henry has some serious skills. I am looking forward to his posts.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Richard-TX » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Hector is our newest member!

Welcome to the forum Hector!

Richard
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Wheels » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey there Hector...I happen to know you have a TD grinder and a power hacksaw that we need pictorial updates on so don't hold out on us.

Come visit me soon...I have your big honking vise here.
Wheels

Next

Return to Old Woodworking Machines