Asian/Pacrim tools

Old Woodworking Machines - Restorations, repairs, maintenance, and more.

Imported WW tools - good or bad?

I have imported tool(s) and it all sucks rocks.
14%
I have imported tool(s) and they are just OK.
43%
I have imported tools and it is good.
43%
No imports here!
No votes

Total votes : 7

Asian/Pacrim tools

Postby Richard-TX » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:47 am

Sometimes there are certain tools that are only made in Asia. Sometimes the Asia made tools are OK and other times they are bad. Hopefully no one owns a tool that they hate.

Do you have any imported tools and what is your opinion of what you have?

Pacrim = Pacific Rim i.e., Japan, etc.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Re: Asian/Pacrim tools

Postby scrobert » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 am

As far as Asian-made machines go, I have a JET band saw that is a Delta clone and it has served me quite well over the past 5 years. I also have a later model Delta 1"x 42"belt sander with 9" disc that I use rarely. I believe it was made in Taiwan, but it has held up to the light use I have given it.

I have bought numerous hand tools and accessories that were made in Asia. Some have held up well and other have been junk. Someone once told me that Taiwan and China can make high quality tools and machines using top quality materials if they are required to, but they will also make cheap junk if that is what they are asked to do. American companies that demand top quality from their Asian manufacturers and conduct quality assurance inspections and reviews have had good success.
Scott
scrobert

Postby Phil Morris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Just echoing what Robert has said. People take comfort in making blank judgements of large categories because it simplifies their thinking process. If I can dismiss a whole race of people as worthless or judge all the products bearing a specific brand as being superior, I can save myself a lot of time and effort in making actual considered judgements. Of course this is not the way to go if you are interested in accuracy whether you are talking about groups of people, product brands, of countries of origin or whether your judgement is positive or negative. There was a time when all products coming out of Japan were considered to be junk and now US manufacturers struggle to compete with Japanese quality. Every German man is not a stiff regimented engineer and every Asian kid is not a math whiz.

There are high quality products of Chinese origin in the market currently but the country of manufacture is overshadowed by the product brand like Apple for instance. Look around and you will find your house is full of these products. I have read several rants and serial emails lambasting Chinese products and calling for boycotts that amuse me since they were more than likely composed on, and distributed through computers that were manufactured in China (or made up of components of Chinese origin).

I am a huge supporter of local businesses. I eat in locally owned restaurants. I shop in locally owned stores even if it means higher prices. I absolutely won't even go in a Walmart store (not because they sell imports but because they seek and destroy small local businesses). I also have no issues with imported goods. A huge part of our economy has been based on imports from the very beginning (remember what the Boston Tea Party was all about?). Many good solid American companies are importers. They employ millions of American workers. Profits from the sales of these goods stay in the US and support the American economy. We need quality American manufacturers but we need the importers also.

So I am stuck with evaluating products individually. Is the quality suited to the use I will put it to? Do I need a 48" Starrett scale to check the depth of the post holes I am digging or will a yardstick do the job? Do I want to try to remove the head bolts on my racing engine with an inaccurately sized mystery metal socket wrench or boost for the Snap On or Craftsman?

Getting off the soap box before I fall and hurt myself - Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Richard-TX » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

I am with Phil.

It doesn't matter where it was made, the possibility that it is junk is possible. I have a few USA made items that are crap.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Wheels » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I try my best to buy US made product first and will continue to do so without being fanatical about it. Having said that....I miss some tools that I moved along when starting down the old arn path..

Jet spindle sander
Jet 12" disk sander
Grizzly GO555 bandsaw

All very sweet machines.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Richard-TX » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 am

After comparing Jet to Grizzly, the Grizzly machines generally win. A lot bigger bang for the buck.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Rickbaro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 pm

I have a 17" Grizz bandsaw, and a Grizz OSS. I like them just fine and think the quality is right up there. It's all sheetmetal of course, but the cast tables are nice. The iron is not the old gray iron like my older stuff, but it works fine.

I think the less expensive Asian tools are poorer quality than the less expensive old American tools. But I try to stay away from both, so no matter.
Rickbaro

Postby shoottx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:27 pm

The quality of tools where ever they are made, greatly depend on the manufacturing requirements defined at the point of design,

I have two examples in my shop; first I have a Ryobi 10 inch lunch box planer, bought about 20 years ago. I have run 4" x 8' x 16' hard whit oak through it with out a hiccup. the depth of cut is based on how much tear out I want on each pass, and it will provide a very smooth surface with a light pass ( provided the blades are sharp and I have not surfaced a couple of nails, which is a whole nuther story) The challenge with this machine is the short bed and short spacing on the rollers create a little end snipe I have been unable to cure, so I just have to plan around that in preparing material. I will replace it with a bigger machine when it dies but I can not kill the damn thing. It really has been a good value and a great machine.

Second is a Ryobi BT300 table saw purchased in the early 90s, made in North Carolina. The BT300 was designed to be a light weight job site saw with a number of unique features, a sliding table, adjustable tables, quick add additional rails for wide work etc. The concept was unique and interesting, but the execution was a bit off target. The saw, when properly tuned is a fun piece of equipment, it is light weight made of aluminum castings. Because of the light weight, and use of lighter materials it goes out of alignment when it is moved just a little. Great Idea bad reality.

So evaluating a product regardless or point of origin is still the correct answer.
Mike
shoottx

Postby Carpenter Mark » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:25 am

I have a few Taiwan machines; a Delta DP and a 6" jointer I bought 15-18 years ago, and I got what I paid for- not a lot of machine for not a lot of money. But they were (are) serviceable for what they are. I recently bought a US made PM 50 that doesn't seem any better than the Delta also.

I needed the use of a tilting spindle shaper 6 years back. An older fellow who owned a shop I worked in & out of had a Jet Industrial tilting spindle shaper that was his personal "toy" in that he recognized it's merits and flaws and corrected most of them- hand scraped the high spots off the table; replaced a lot of the common hardware nuts, bolts and washers; changed the fence halves to wood to be able to joint them flat, removed backlash with shims as needed etc. until he had a very good machine. It was made back in the late '70's I think.
I found the exact same shaper, made by the same manufacturer and bought it. I figured that if they still made the same machine over 25 years later, they probably got the bugs worked out. I haven't been disappointed with it and feel it was a good value for the money, which was substantially less than a comparable Euro machine.
Carpenter Mark

Return to Old Woodworking Machines