[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
MyMachineryForum.com • View topic - Woodshop Expansion

Woodshop Expansion

Building, dust equipment, lighting, style, storage, shop furnishings, etc

Re: Woodshop Expansion

Postby Phil Morris » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 am

Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 am

Phil Morris

Postby slstexas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Phil,

This is an exciting project. I do remember how crowded your existing space is.
If anyone can use a bit more space - it's you. Glad to hear you are gonna do it.

The existing building has cement floor - as I remember. Your machines are big and heavy.
You could use a railroad round house leading to the outside porch slab. :-)

Could you make separate inside concrete pads - or maybe even a couple of general use concrete pads in the center of you internal space ?

Maybe roll those big units out from the wall onto a concrete pad for use ?

I have thought about this pad concept for a future shop where my Laguna HD16 band saw might have a solid footing.

I love the roof treatments you show. Certainly will add to the property look.

SO the porch is not part of the "cities" footprint measurement ?

The Tools issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine has a pretty neat looking shop on the cover.
2 story though. I did think some of the ideas discussed looks good though.

I know windows are expensive to heat and cool ---- but I really do enjoy looking out sometimes.
You have a really nice view out back too. Shame to not let that in when you want it.
How about some open/close shades, shutters or screens ?

I am happy for you.

Steve
Function over form - so long as it looks well.
www.stephenstevensguitars.com
slstexas

Postby HenryP » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 pm

I'll be watching progress with enthusiasm. I like the design with the stairs outside. If the stairs don't count as as part of the building footprint, that will free up considerable space inside.
Could consider a steel beam above the loft window, made to look antiquey like an 18th century waterfront warehouse, but completely functional. Henry
HenryP

Postby Phil Morris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Here is a little update on the shop expansion project:

After waiting for a couple of weeks for quotes from two different architects for plans, I have decided to just draw them myself. The city isn't being to picky about the formality of the plans and since I found a very detailed free plan set online for a 24' x 24' garage with a loft, my contractors concerns about spans and material dimensions can be handled.

The next issue I have been struggling with is that I am tearing down a perfectly good 12' x 24' shop and saving only a portion of the slab for the new building. It dawned on me that I could just keep my current shop and build an additional shop building for the same dollars. I checked with the city and multiple accessory buildings are allowed as long as the combined square footage does not occupy more than 35% of the yard. My lot is 3/4 of an acre so that is no issue. So here is my current thinking: Keep the existing shop and build an additional 22' x 22' shop building beyond it. I have a 12' x 15' wood shed coming off the back of my current shop building. This would be removed and a new 12' x 16' shed would be built behind the new shop. This not only gives me much more space but it eliminates the issue of tool storage during construction. When the new shop is ready I will just move in the woodshop tools then move my metal shop from the garage to the old shop.

Below are a couple pencil sketches. The drawings are rough but the scale is fairly accurate.

Henry's suggestion of imitating an 18th century waterfront warehouse has fertilized an idea I have had for some time. In working on a master landscape plan for the backyard I have been imagining the lawn as water and the surrounding shrub and flower beds as shoreline with the deck as a dock. This mental exercise has been primarily to get flowing natural lines into the beds and a cohesive feel to the total space. Now I am thinking if I tie the deck to the shop buildings with a boardwalk it will further this concept. I could carry this idea pretty far with the right paint, some telephone pole pilings holding up the walk and some creative use of rope. Teresa has been a good egg so far but I am not sure how far I can push this.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Wheels » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:57 am

Just now getting around to see this...boy things have changed for the better. I "WILL" someday make it to your shop so reckon I'll be able to navigate the internals?
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Previous

Return to Shop and Shop Infrastructure