[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4770: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3896)
MyMachineryForum.com • View topic - Woodshop Expansion

Woodshop Expansion

Building, dust equipment, lighting, style, storage, shop furnishings, etc

Woodshop Expansion

Postby Phil Morris » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Well, I have decided to go for it. I have been kicking around the idea of expanding the woodshop for some time. I thought maybe I would do it after the house is paid off but that is another five years and I don't want to wait that long. I have had some initial conversations with the city engineering and inspection departments and have learned:

My house and shop are still in the flood plain but no longer in the flood way so I can increase the footprint of the structure.
Second stories are not allowed on detached structures (bummer).
500 sq ft is the magic number. Over 500 and I have to match the house construction (100% brick, aluminum shingle roof etc).
A storage loft is allowed as long as the roof does not average more than 15 feet in height.

So it looks like I am adding about eight feet to the width to make it 20'X24' with a loft. This isn't a dramatic increase but it will help a lot. I am starting to look at plans and ideas in this general vein sans porch roof and overhead door:

I welcome every one's thoughts and suggestions during this planning period. Some things I hope to include are:

Two separate areas in the shop. One for the dustier milling equipment and one for assembly & hand work.
I would love to have a wood floor.
Double swing doors rather than an overhead door.
Heat and AC
W/C & shop sink

Phil
Phil Morris

Re: Woodshop Expansion

Postby Richard-TX » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Make it gambrel roof and that would increase the usable storage space by about 80%

Outswing french doors are a great idea. Outswing doors are super in general. The down side is that if you want a screen door, it has to be on the inside. The big win on a door is that you can shoot long pieces right out the door and not have to suck up a ton of shop space. French doors are infinitely better insulated than garage doors.

I purposely do not have windows in my shop. The glass in the doors provides enough outside view. Windows are just a money losing proposition.

Before I put up a screen door I would have visitors, To date I have had 3 birds and a rather large rat snake come inside.

Where is the heat pump going?

The upstairs heat pump with a filter in the 1st floor ceiling has been great! Best thing I ever did.

Epoxy paint on the floor was another winner.

I put painted rough sawn 1/2" plywood siding on the inside walls. I can screw almost anything to the walls and it stays put. No more hunting for studs. If I have to, I can remove a section by removing the screws.

The really great thing about that design is that later you could enclose the porch with some siding, add a door and that would make a great storage area too. The city can't say much about that.

If it were mine I would look into putting gables on both sides of the building. Gables really do increase the storage space.

I wish I had put in a loft door or big window. It would have made the chore of putting wood up a LOT easier. Putting one in after the fact is a big hassle.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Postby Rickbaro » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I'll be interested in following along. I too am thinking that 20 X 24 will be a good size. I'm in 16 X 20 now and it's just a little too tight.

I won't build in a toilet, just one more thing to keep clean, but I would want a slop sink.

What about a little bump out for the dust collector? Or a closet inside?

The other handy thing for me has been the side doors on my shed; they're about 15" off the ground which allows me to unload right off my garden trailer. And when I pull the truck up, it's pretty close to the tailgate. Like having my own truck dock!

Maybe put in a whole-house attic fan to draw fresh air in through the windows when the weather is nice?
Rickbaro

Postby Wheels » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Getting any new space sounds exciting to me. Congrats on the new project.
I'm in it for the parking...
Wheels

Postby Phil Morris » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I have a woodshed coming off the back of the current shop and I had planned to maintain that. My DC is in the woodshed. My contractor is coming by next week to look at the current structure. We hope to save three walls of the current shop. I hope to add about eight feet of slab and about a 2" cap on the current slab so we can finish the whole thing smooth.

I like the idea of a gambrel roof but SWMBO has already objected to it looking like a "barn". I do kinda like the roof on this one:

It would make a nice space in the loft. I also like the outside stairs access to the loft space.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby Phil Morris » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 pm

I have been making my own sketches of what I think I would like the building and roofline to look like and finally found a picture online of a similar roof:

Picture this without the overhead doors and just some windows in their place, double swinging doors on the end and an outside stair access to the loft as in the picture above.

Phil
Phil Morris

Postby shoottx » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Phil

What a great project, I am looking forward to following along on this project.

And if you need help with any thing just give a call.

Couple of comments, I would try to get at least 9' ceiling height on the first floor, and adding wood flooring over concrete would be ideal. Other option are to stain, epoxy or add tile floor over the concrete floors. I wish I had done that in the outside shop.

Second would be to design and plan a theme for the lower floor including a paint scheme and cabinets.

If you are looking for shop idears, mosey over to the Garage Journal and in the gallery section there are some amazing shop builds from small to gigantic.

Mike
shoottx

Postby Phil Morris » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:22 am

Phil Morris

Postby Rickbaro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 am

I recall seeing some oak flooring at one of the (numerous) tile places we went to. It looked like it was supposed to go on the floor of a freight elevator. Not ugly, but I thought to myself that it would make a great shop floor because it was priced pretty cheaply and looked like utility flooring. Don't remember anything else about it though. Food for thought.
Rickbaro

Postby Richard-TX » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Just try to level a metal lathe on a wood floor on joists. It is a exercise in futility. Some of the large lathes need 12 inches on concrete under them.
Richard-TX
Site Admin

Next

Return to Shop and Shop Infrastructure