Cordless drill choices

Sometimes a new tool is needed. Tell everyone what's good, what's bad, and if you find a super deal on a cloesout.

Cordless drill choices

Postby hector » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:32 pm

So after 5 years, the NiCad batteries on my little 12V Ryobi cordless drill have come to the end of their life. I bought the drill on sale at the orange borg five years ago for $40, and have used the crap out of it, so I got my money's worth. Rather than put money into new batteries for the Ryobi, I'm looking to buy a better drill, such as a DeWalt. My first question is whether there is any reason to get a NiCad battery any more, or just go with the more expensive lithium ion batteries. The second question is whether anybody has opinions on DeWalt vs. any of the other brands.

The price of the lithium ion powered drills is outrageous. The DeWalt DCD980L2 is $280 at the box stores. My bottom feeder genes go radioactive at the thought of paying as much for a little battery powered drill as what one might pay for a completely functional old Delta drill press which will still be drilling holes 40 years from now.
hector

Return to New Tools - Deals, Reviews etc.